Fried Cornbread Crouton Panzanella with Tomatoes and Summer Squash
For this class - PLEASE either pre-measure all ingredients for Cornbread Croutons, or feel free to bake them off ahead of class. Thank you! - Chef Ben
Ingredients for Tomatoes & Squash:
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup sliced cherry, grape and/or pear tomatoes
- 1/2 medium yellow summer squash, quartered and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 shallot, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- kernels from 1 ear of corn
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh basil
- drizzle olive oil
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 small garlic, minced
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups of baby gem lettuce leaves
Procedure for Tomatoes & Squash:
- Whisk vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Add tomatoes, squash, shallot, and corn; stir well to combine.
- Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, before serving.
- Serve garnished with dill and basil.
- Place a medium pan over medium high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add green beans to the pan with garlic, chili flakes, salt and pepper and give a quick sauté. Remove from pan, combine with tomato and squash mixture, set aside. Save the pan for our bread.
- To build you salad, arrange the baby gems on a platter, top with tomatoes and squash mixture, then top with croutons (recipe below).
Ingredients for Cornbread Croutons:
- 3/4 cups (103g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (78g) cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons (25g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 3/4 cups (142g) lukewarm milk
- 2 tablespoons (29g) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 1/8 cup (25g) vegetable oil
- 1 large egg (note: if doubling this recipe, do not double the egg, stay with 1)
- vegetable or canola oil, enough to fill pan half way
Procedure for Cornbread Croutons:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 6 muffin cups.
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter, vegetable oil, and egg.
- Pour the liquid all at once into the flour mixture, stirring quickly and gently until just combined. Don't over mix: stir the batter just enough to bring it together and evenly moisten the ingredients.
- Scoop into the muffin tin.
- Bake the bread for about 10 -12 minutes, until the edges just begin to pull away from the cups and a cake tester or paring knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Next, wipe out skillet we used to sauté green beans. Fill about half way with a high heat oil (like vegetable or canola) and heat to 350⁰F.
- Break cornbread into small crouton size pieces, about 1/2 inch all around. Add to hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy.
- Using a slotted spoon remove from the oil to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt. Serve on top of salad!