Fresh Corn Polenta with Aged Cheddar and Chives and Cherry Tomatoes with Shrimp
Ingredients for Polenta:
- 8 medium ears sweet corn
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegan or dairy butter
- 4 ounces aged cheddar
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives, more to garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Procedure for Polenta:
- Shuck the corn and slice the kernels off the cob into a large sauce pot.
- Milk each cob by sliding the back of your knife up and down to remove any remaining juice and corn. Then discard the cobs.
- Add butter to the pan, add the corn and corn milk, and just enough water to cover.
- Pour mixture into a blender, blend, and then put it back in the pan.
- Add cheddar and chives and reduce.
- Taste and season with salt.
- Serve warm with more chives and pepper to garnish.
Ingredients for Shrimp & Tomatoes:
- 1 - 2 tablespoon olive oil
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 - 1½ pound shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Procedure for Shrimp & Tomatoes:
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over high heat; swirl to coat pan. Season shrimp with salt and ground pepper. Add half the shrimp to the pan; cook until opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining oil and shrimp.
- Reduce heat to medium; add garlic and red-pepper flakes. Stir in tomatoes; cook until they begin to break down, 4 to 6 minutes. Season with salt.
- Return shrimp and any accumulated juices to pan. Add chives and lemon juice; toss to coat. Serve over polenta.