Flour Tortillas, Guacamole, and Salsa for Tacos
Makes: 8 flour tortillas
Ingredients for Flour Tortillas:
- 2½ cups (298g) all-purpose flour, plus additional as needed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup of any one of the following: 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature (57g), shortening (48g), lard (57g), or vegetable oil (50g)
- 7/8 to 1 cup (200g to 227g) hot tap water (about 110°F to 120°F)
Procedure for Flour Tortillas:
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the lard (or butter, or shortening; if you're using vegetable oil, add it in step 3). Use your fingers, a pastry blender, or a fork to work the fat into the flour until it disappears. Coating most of the flour with fat inhibits gluten formation, making the tortillas easier to roll out.
- Pour in the lesser amount of hot water (plus the oil, if you're using it), and stir briskly with a fork or whisk to bring the dough together into a shaggy mass. Stir in additional water as needed to bring the dough together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead briefly, just until the dough forms a ball. If the dough is very sticky, gradually add a bit more flour.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Round the pieces into balls, flatten slightly, and allow them to rest, covered, for about 30 minutes. If you wish, coat each ball lightly in oil before covering; this ensures the dough doesn't dry out.
- While the dough rests, preheat an ungreased cast iron griddle or skillet over medium high heat.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll into a round about 8" in diameter. Keep the remaining dough covered while you work. Fry the tortilla in the ungreased pan for about 30 seconds on each side. Wrap the tortilla in a clean cloth when it comes off the griddle, to keep it pliable. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.
- If there are leftovers, allow them to cool completely, then wrap tightly in plastic and store in the refrigerator. Reheat in an ungreased skillet, or for a few seconds in the microwave.
Makes: 10 - 14 servings guacamole
Ingredients for Guacamole:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1 - 2 teaspoons of lime juice
- salt to taste
- 1 - 2 tomato, finely chopped
Procedure for Guacamole:
- Peel the avocado and remove the core.
- Mash the avocado in a bowl until it reaches your desired consistency
- Add the onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and tomato and mix well.
- Add lime juice and salt to taste.
Makes: 2 cups, about 8 servings of salsa
Ingredients for Salsa:
- 4 - 5 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoons red onion, diced (optional)
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt, to taste
Procedure for Salsa:
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to integrate
- For easier prep: pulse all ingredients in the food processor until desired consistency is reached. (If you prefer a chunky salsa, pulse less or just dice the ingredients as small as you like and mix!)
- flour tortillas
- protein of choice (ground beef, shredded chicken, shrimp, fish etc.)
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheese