Flatbread Pizzas with the Boys & Girls Club
Ingredients for the Flatbread:
- 3 cups (361g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons (35g) olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup (227g) ice water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons (25g to 35g) vegetable oil, additional for frying
Ingredients for the Quick Marinara Sauce:
- 1 - 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- fresh mozzarella
- cooked sausage
Method for the Flatbreads:
- Place the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the oil and ice water, and mix to make a soft, cohesive dough. Adjust with flour or water as needed. The dough should be moist but not sticky. Cover with plastic wrap or a dish towel, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat a heavy-bottomed skillet on the stovetop. Add 1 tablespoon oil and heat until the oil starts to shimmer in the pan.
- Divide the dough into 10 to 12 equal pieces. Each piece should weigh about 1½ to 2 ounces, about the size of a large egg. Dredge each piece in flour, and roll to a rough circle or oval, about 1/4" thick OR hand shape the pieces by flattening between your palms.
- In batches, fry the flatbreads in the hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip and fry on the second side for another 2 minutes. Transfer from the pan to a rack to cool slightly before serving. Add more oil as needed for frying successive batches.
Method for the Marinara Sauce:
- Place tomatoes in a medium mixing bowl.
- Using a microplane or fine grate on a box grater, grate garlic cloves directly into the tomatoes.
- Add dried thyme and stir until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
*If sauce is too acidic, add 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
Putting It All Together:
- Once the flatbreads are cooked spread the top with 1 tablespoon of marinara sauce, using the back of the spoon to spread it close to the edge.
- Top with whatever toppings your heart and stomach desire.
- Place back in skillet and cover to heat the toppings and melt any cheese that needs melting.
- Alternatively, these can be heated up in a toaster oven, microwave, regular oven or enjoyed at room temp.