Falafel with Honey Whipped Tahini
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 Can (400g) Chickpeas (washed, drained & dried very well)
- 1 Small Onion OR ½ of a Large Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced or grated)
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ - 1 tsp Hot Red Pepper Flakes OR Aleppo Pepper
- ¼ Cup Parsley (finely chopped)
- ¼ Cup Cilantro (finely chopped)
- Peanut or Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 Cup Tahini
- Juice from ½ lemon = about 2 tbsp
- 2 TBSP Honey
- Salt (to taste)
- Pitas, for eating (if desired)
- Shredded Lettuce (if desired)
- Diced Tomato and Onion (if desired)
1. Place your drained and dried chickpeas in a large mixing bowl (make sure they’re very dry; moisture will cause the falafels to fall apart when cooking). Use a potato masher, fork or the back of a spoon to smash the chickpeas until they’re mush.
2. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes, parsley and cilantro. Stir until everything is evenly combined. Taste and add salt as needed. If the mixture seems too loose or there is liquid in it, add 1 TBSP of Chickpea Flour or All Purpose Flour.
3. In a large sautè pan, add enough Peanut or Vegetable oil to thoroughly coat the bottom of the pan. Heat over medium heat until the oil shimmers.
4. Using a 1 ½ inch diameter portion scoop or a tablespoon, scoop the Falafel mixture- taking care to really compress the mixture. Roll it into a ball with your hands. Repeat until all of your falafels are shaped.
5. Fry your falafels in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan, until they’re a deep brown all the way around (about 6-8 minutes). Transfer to a paper towel lined tray or plate and immediately season with salt. Repeat until all of the falafels are cooked.
6. In the bowl of a stand mixer, small food processor or by hand with a whisk combine the Tahini, Lemon juice, Honey and a generous pinch of salt. Whip on medium speed for 5-6 minutes until it starts to lighten in color and get a little fluffy. If your mixture is too thick add some water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it’s thinned out a bit.
7. Spread the honey whipped tahini inside a pita, add 3 to 4 falafels. Add Lettuce, Tomato and Onion if desired.