Servings: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 12 -18 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon instant yeast, SAF Brand
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅔ cup whole milk, warmed
- ½ cup water, warmed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- semolina flour, as needed
************STEPS 1-5 COMPLETE MORNING OF CLASS*************
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl with the yeast on one side of the bowl and salt on the other side; combine.
- Pour ¾ of the liquid into the dry ingredients bowl and stir until a sticky dough forms.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap or a shower cap and a clean kitchen towel. Let it sit at room temperature for 12 hours; the dough should double in size.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out in a 1 inch thick circle.
- Using a 3-inch cookie cutter dusted in flour, cut out rounds and transfer to a sheet tray lined with parchment and sprinkled with semolina flour. Any scraps can be re-rolled and made into another muffin.
- Lightly dust the tops of the muffins with semolina flour and cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel; let them rest for another 40-45 minutes.
- To cook the muffins: heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium to medium-low heat.
- Using a fish spatula, carefully transfer the English muffins into the pan and cover with a lid, leaving at least 2 inches between each muffin. Cover the pan with the lid and cook for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Flip over and cook on the other side, uncovered, for another 3-4 minutes.
- Set the muffins aside to cool down before serving.