Easy Pepper Steak
Visit Relish to see the recipe, create your shopping list and easily order the ingredients
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ¾ cups Swanson® Beef Broth or Beef Stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, ¾-inch thick, (1 steak) cut into very thin strips
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch-long strips (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup long grain white rice, cooked according to package directions without salt (about 3 cups)
- To make slicing easier, freeze the beef for 1 hour before slicing.
- You may also use 2 cups frozen red and/or green pepper strips for the fresh pepper strips in this recipe.
- Cook and cool the rice completely, then place into a resealable freezer bag. Prep the vegetables and place into another resealable freezer bag. Slice the beef and place into a third resealable freezer bag. Seal the bags (removing all air) and freeze. Thaw the beef and vegetables overnight in the refrigerator before following the recipe as written. Place the frozen rice into a microwavable serving bowl and add 6 tablespoons broth or water. Cover and cook on high for 4 minutes or until hot.
- Stir the cornstarch, broth, soy sauce and garlic powder in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir-fry the beef in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it's well browned, stirring often. Pour off any fat.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the pepper and onion. Stir in the cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir until the mixture boils and thickens. Serve the beef mixture over the rice.