Servings: 2 - 4 per dough ball
Prep Time: 24 - 72 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
**You will need a 9 inch by 2 inch square cake pan or pizza pan
Ingredients for Dough (Day 1 of 3 - Prep):
- 500 grams all-purpose flour (Cerasota or King Arthur preferred)
- 310 grams cold water
- 12.5 grams kosher salt
- 10 grams extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 grams instant yeast
Procedure (Day 1 of 3 - Prep):
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix together the cold water and yeast.
- Add the all-purpose flour and mix for 3 minutes on lowest speed.
- Allow the dough to rest for 20 minutes.
- Add salt and resume mixing on lowest speed for 3 minutes.
- With the mixer running, slowly add the oil and continue mixing until the dough is smooth and supple.
- Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two 396 gram balls (14 ounces).
- Allow the dough balls to rest again for 30 minutes.
- Place each dough in an oiled bag; label each dough DETROIT and date. Freeze until 3 days before class.
Procedure (Day 2 of 3 - Prep):
*48-72 HOURS BEFORE CLASS: REMOVE THE DOUGH FROM THE FREEZER AND PLACE IN THE REFRIGERATOR; THIS IS THE COLD FERMENT AND CAN BE DONE FOR 2-5 DAYS.
- MORNING OF CLASS: After the dough has cold fermented for 2-5 days, remove the dough from the fridge and leave at room temperature-still covered-for 2 hours.
- Coat the pan with olive oil and press the dough into the pan, going all the way to the corners. Wrap the whole pan in a plastic grocery bag or loose fitting plastic wrap. Leave on the counter for MINIMUM OF 6 HOURS.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Bake the dough for about 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool.
Ingredients for Toppings:
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 ounces whole low-moisture mozzarella cheese, sliced thin (you can have your deli counter do this as well)
- 1 - 28 ounce can of crushed San Marzano tomatoes OR whole peeled, put through a food mill
- 1 tablespoon Romano cheese, grated
- Italian sausage, cooked
- Fresh basil
Procedure (Day 3 of 3 - Cook):
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Sprinkle the cheese around the perimeter of the par baked crust (to get the coveted cheese crown).
- Lay slices of cheese on top of the pizza.
- Add your favorite toppings next.
- Bake the pizza for about 15 minutes or until the filling cheese starts to bubble and the cheese crown starts to turn brown.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and stripe the pizza with the crushed tomatoes. Sprinkle with Romano cheese then cut into 6 squares and eat hot!