Deep Dish Pepperoni Pizza
Servings: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients for Dough:
- 2/3 cup warm water (95F-110F)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the container
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme and rosemary
- 1 – 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- Olive oil, as needed
Ingredients for Toppings:
- 8 ounces pepperoni, 1/8 inch thick slices
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated
- 6 ounces fontina cheese, coarsely grated
Ingredients for Hot Honey:
- 4 fresno chiles, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 dried chiles such as chipotle or chiles de arbol
- 2 cups light honey
- Fresh basil, torn, for garnish (optional)
- To make the pizza dough: In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer combine the water, yeast and honey. Let sit for 5 minutes or until foamy.
- Add the flour, salt and 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Stir until a scraggly dough forms then turn out onto the counter and knead until a smooth dough forms, approximately 7 minutes. If you are using the stand mixer: with the dough hook knead for 5-7 minutes until a smooth dough forms.
- Lightly oil a clean bowl and place the dough in. Turn to coat the dough in oil then cover with a clean dish towel or plastic wrap. Proof in a warm, draft free spot for 25 to 30 minutes until almost doubled in size.
- To make the sauce: Put enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a medium saucepan; heat over medium heat. When the oil is hot add the garlic and cook until aromatic, approximately 1 minute. Add the fresh chopped herbs and cook for 30 seconds. Add the crushed tomatoes and sugar if using. Stir to combine. Cook at a simmer until the sauce has reduced by about 1/3, approximately 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 500F.
- Lightly oil a deep dish pizza pan or dark 9 inch by 13 inch pan. Transfer the pizza dough to the pan and use your fingers to gently stretch and press dough into the pan. If it starts to bounce back let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes before working it again.
- Arrange the pepperoni in an even layer on the dough, followed by the grated cheeses. Drop the sauce over the top by the spoonful then carefully spread it out to the edges. Bake until the edges get really dark, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- To make the hot honey: In a small saucepan on medium high heat combine the fresno chiles, dried chiles and honey; bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer gently for approximately 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes. (Store in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.)
- Let the pizza sit for 10 minutes before transferring to a cutting board. Cut into squares then drizzle the hot honey over the top. Garnish with torn basil leaves.