Crostini with Blistered Cherry Tomatoes & Mozzarella, Crostini with Brie & Apples, and a Lemon Basil Spritz Cocktail
Serves: 4 plus 1 cocktail
Ingredients for Crostini:
- 1 loaf Wonder New York Rye Bread or Wonder Whole Grain White Bread, cut diagonally, into 8 pieces
- olive oil, for drizzling
- salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the Blistered Cherry Tomato & Mozzarella:
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 - 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 3 - 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella or burrata
- salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the Brie & Apples:
- 1/2 ounce brie, room temp
- 1 large apple, such as Pink Lady or Jazz
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small handful arugula, stems trimmed
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pistachios
- salt, to taste
Ingredients for the Lemon Basil Spritz Cocktail:
- 5 large basil leaves
- 1½ ounces Deep Eddy Lemon Vodka
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- sparkling water or club soda
Procedure Blistered Cherry Tomatoes:
- Preheat a cast iron pan on your grill (or medium heat on your stove).
- Using your hand, or your knife, gently smash the garlic cloves and then roughly chop them.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to your cast iron pan and immediately drizzle with enough olive oil to get them shiny, about 1 - tablespoons. Add the thyme sprigs. Shake the pan (or use a spoon to stir) to ensure the tomatoes are coated in the olive oil then let them sit for 2 minutes, until blistered.
- Toss in the roughly chopped garlic and shake the pan again. Let it sit for 2 minutes and then remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a fork or back of a spoon, lightly smash the tomatoes. Set aside.
Procedure for Brie & Apples:
- Slice the room temperature brie into 1/4 inch slices
- Using a sharp knife, slice the apple into 1/4 inch slices. Toss the apple slices with the lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
To Build Crostini:
- Drizzle both sides of the bread slices with olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- On a grill or grill pan, on medium high heat, toast both sides of the bread.
- Top 4 slices of the grilled bread with brie, arugula, and apple slices. Drizzle the honey over the top, scatter the chopped walnuts or pistachios and finish with a pinch of salt, to taste.
- Top the remaining 4 slices of grilled bread with torn pieces of fresh mozzarella or burrata. Top with the cherry tomatoes, a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt (if desired).
Procedure for Lemon Basil Spritz:
- Put 4 basil leaves in a cocktail shaker and press them gently with a muddler or a wooden spoon.
- Add the Deep Eddy Lemon vodka and simple syrup.
- Fill with ice, shake vigorously and strain into a chilled Collins glass.
- Top off with sparkling water or club soda.
- Garnish with the remaining basil leaf.