Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Bechamel Sauce:
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- freshly ground pepper
Ingredients for Sandwiches:
- 8 thin slices of white sandwich bread
- 5 ounces sliced ham, or 2-3 slices per sandwich
- 6 ounces of shredded Gruyere or Emmental cheese, about 2 ½ cups
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, for Croque Madame option
- mixed greens or butter lettuces, optional
- To make the bechamel: Melt butter in a medium sized saucepan. Add in flour, whisking constantly, and cook for about three minutes. Gradually pour in the milk while whisking until smooth and thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and stir in the mustards and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and ready a sheet pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- Spread each piece of bread with a layer of bechamel. Lay four of the slices bechamel side up on the lined baking sheet. Top each piece with ham and a handful of shredded gruyere and a sprinkling of parmesan. Place the remaining bread slices, bechamel sides up, on top of each sandwich, then top with the remaining cheeses.
- Bake for about 5-6 minutes, or until the cheeses are melted. Turn the oven to broil and brown the tops for about 2 minutes.
- Top with fried egg to make a Croque Madame and serve with a simple green salad to make a meal of it!