Crispy Chicken Thighs and Broccolini
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
*your Chef will lead you through all the techniques so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 8 small bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 bunches broccolini (or broccoli crowns)
- 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into 1-tablespoon pats, divided
- ¾ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 - 14 ounce can low sodium Cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (from previous lemon)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley (or your favorite soft herb)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, as needed
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the packaging and place on a baking sheet skin side up. Allow to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes to air dry. If needed, pat the chicken with paper towels to ensure they are very dry. Season the skin side of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- For the broccolini, first zest one lemon and set aside for finishing. Cut half of the lemon into thin slices to make rounds, saving the other half for later. Toss the broccolini with a little olive oil, one clove of finely chopped garlic, salt, pepper and the lemon slices. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, arranging the broccolini so there is room between each one. Spread the lemon slices on top. Roast for 15-20 minutes, checking on them half way through in case you need to rotate the pan for even cooking.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the seasoned chicken in the pan, skin side down, and allow the fat to render out of them for 4-5 minutes. Then turn the heat up to medium high to crisp the skin until a deep golden brown color, another 2-3 minutes. Once the skin is crispy and browned transfer, skin side up, back to the baking sheet they were on. Turn your pan skillet off or down on low to ensure you don’t burn the delicious brown bits on the bottom (the fond) - you’ll need that for the pan sauce! Place the sheet of chicken in the oven and cook the thighs until they register 165°F and the juices run clear, about 10-12 minutes. Pull from the oven and set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the broccolini is nicely roasted (and even charred a bit), remove from the oven and toss with the reserved lemon zest.
- Pour any excess fat from the skillet you cooked the chicken in. Turn the heat to medium and add the shallot, remaining garlic and 1 tablespoon of butter, cooking until the shallots and garlic are fragrant. Squeeze in the juice from the other half of the lemon and use a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape and release all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour in the stock and reduce by half. Turn the heat down to low and add 1 tablespoon of butter at a time to the pan, swirling or stirring each one until it’s fully emulsified into the reduced stock. Repeat until all the butter is incorporated.
- Add in the rinsed beans and cook just to warm them through. Sprinkle in the chopped parsley and taste to adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
- Put a few pieces of roasted broccolini on a serving plate then top with two chicken thighs. Spoon the beans and sauce around the outside of the plate, taking care not to put it over the top of your crispy chicken skin! Garnish with a few of the roasted lemon slices if desired.