Crab Cake Sliders and Chocolate Hazelnut Brioche Sandwiches
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Crab Cake Sandwiches:
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or your favorite hot sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire
- ½ red bell pepper, minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- Chives, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked through
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 St. Pierre Brioche buns
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Neutral oil such as avocado, canola or peanut
- Unsalted butter, room temperature
- Butter lettuce, for the sandwiches
Ingredients for Spicy Honey Mustard:
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons honey
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder (or yellow mustard)
Ingredients for Chocolate Hazelnut Brioche Sandwiches:
- 1 ¾ cups hazelnuts, roasted, peeled and cooled and divided: 1 ½ cups for the spread, ¼ cup for garnish
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil such as hazelnut, avocado, canola or grapeseed
- 1 banana, thinly sliced or ¼ cup strawberries, hulled and halved
- ¼ Semi-sweet chocolate chips, for garnish (optional)
- 4 St. Pierre Brioche slider rolls
- Unsalted butter, room temperature
- For Crab Cakes: In a medium bowl whisk together the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, cayenne (or hot sauce) and Worcestershire. Add the red bell pepper, celery, chives and a couple of pinches of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir.
- Fold in crabmeat followed by the panko breadcrumbs. Take care not to overmix this. Divide mixture into quarters and shape each section into discs approximately 1 inch thick. Place on a plate or tray and refrigerate.
- To make the spicy honey mustard: in a small bowl stir together the Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, honey, cayenne pepper and mustard powder (or yellow mustard). Taste and adjust sweetness and spiciness.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat. Add enough oil to completely coat the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot carefully place the crab cakes in. Cook until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Use a fish spatula to carefully flip the crab cakes. Cook for another 4 – 5 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack and cover with foil.
- Wipe out the skillet and place back on the heat. Butter the inside of the St. Pierre brioche slider rolls and place buttered side down. Cook for approximately 1 minute, until lightly toasted.
- Assemble the sandwich: Spread the spicy honey mustard on both sides of the sandwich. Place a crab cake on the bottom bun, top with butter lettuce then bun.
- For Chocolate Hazelnut Brioche Sandwiches: To toast the hazelnuts: Place a large skillet over medium heat. Put the hazelnuts in the pan and cook, shaking frequently to toast them evenly, for approximately 4 minutes. Once they’re toasted, transfer them to a dish cloth and let them cool for 1 minute. Fold the dish towel over the top and roll your hands back and forth. The friction from this will remove the skins from the hazelnuts. Wait until the hazelnuts are cooled completely before moving on to the next step.
- Put the hazelnuts in the bowl of a food processor and blitz until creamy, approximately 4 minutes. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together. Add to the hazelnuts along with the kosher salt. Keep blitzing, scraping the sides as needed, for another 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and blitz. If the consistency at this point is thick and spreadable transfer to a jar or bowl. If it is not then add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and blitz for another 30 seconds or so.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Butter the St. Pierre brioche slider rolls and place butter side down in the pan. Cook until lightly toasted.
- Spread a generous amount of the chocolate hazelnut spread on both sides of the bread. Add bananas or strawberries (or both). Sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts and chocolate chips over the fruit. Top with the bun.