Chocolate Dipped Frozen Bananas & Chocolate Nests with the Boys & Girls Club - Trinity
Bananas Serves: 8
Ingredients for Bananas:
- 2 ripe but firm bananas (and/or any assortment of fruit of your choosing)
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped, or semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup granola, chopped nuts, shredded coconut, or sprinkles (optional)
- popsicle sticks, skewers or toothpicks (if making bite-sized pieces)
Procedure for Bananas:
- Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Cut the bananas in quarters and insert a popsicle stick into each half. Place them on the baking sheet and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate with the oil in a glass measuring cup in the microwave (check it every 30 seconds) or in a half-full pan of simmering water (about 2 minutes). Stir until smooth.
- Roll each banana half in the chocolate, then quickly sprinkle with your topping (if using).
- Freeze until the chocolate sets, 30 minutes. Serve or freeze in an airtight container for up to a week.
Nests Serve: 12
Ingredients for Nests:
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) butter
- 2¾ ounces cornflakes, shredded wheat, or rice krispy cereal
- 36 mini chocolate eggs
- paper muffin cups
Procedure for Nests:
- Line a muffin pan with paper cases.
- Melt the chocolate, honey, and butter in a bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water (do not let the base of the bowl touch the water). Stir the mixture until smooth.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and gently stir in the cornflakes (or other cereal) until all of the cereal is coated in the chocolate.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cups and press 3 chocolate eggs into the center of each nest. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour, or until completely set.