XXX - Chili Rubbed Rib Eye with Basil & Mint Hollandaise
Ingredients for Rib Eye:
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoons mustard powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 - 2 inch to 2¼ inch thick, bone-in, beef rib eye (about 2 - 2½ pounds), preferably dry-aged, at room temperature for 1 hour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, lightly crushed
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
Ingredients for Hollandaise:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or ghee, or more for a thinner consistency, melted and hot
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or more as desired for flavor
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped, plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped, plus additional for garnish
Method for Rib Eye:
- Mix all spiced ingredients in a medium bowl. Transfer to an airtight container. DO AHEAD: Spice rub can be made 1 month ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Set a wire rack inside a large rimmed baking sheet. Season steak with kosher salt and 2 tablespoons spice rub, pressing onto all sides of meat and adding more spice rub by the teaspoonful if needed to coat entire surface.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over high heat. When oil begins to shimmer, place steak in skillet. Sear steak for 1 minute (any longer and the rub will start to burn). Transfer steak to a plate and carefully drain fat from skillet.
- Wipe skillet clean with a paper towel. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in skillet and sear other side of steak for 1 minute. Add butter, garlic, and herbs to skillet; cook until butter is foamy. Carefully tip skillet and, using a large spoon, baste steak repeatedly with butter for 1 minute. Turn steak and baste other side for 1 minute.
- Transfer skillet to oven, and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center of meat registers 125° for medium, 8 minutes.
- Transfer steak to prepared rack; let rest for 10 minutes. Cut steak from bone, slice, and sprinkle with sea salt.
Procedure for Hollandaise:
- Melt the butter and set aside
- Add the egg yolks, lemon juice, Dijon, salt and cayenne pepper into a high-powered blender and blend for 5 seconds until combined.
- With the blender running on medium high, slowly stream in the hot butter into the mixture until it's emulsified.
- Stir in basil and mint.
- Pour the hollandaise sauce into a small bowl and serve while warm.