Chicken Tikka Kebabs
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for the naan:
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee or unsalted butter, melted, plus more for brushing if desired
- 1/4 cup non-fat milk, warmed (between 95°F - 110°F)
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg, beaten well
Ingredients for the kebabs:
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 small lemon, zest and juice
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili or cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 skewers, soaked for 20 minutes if using bamboo or wood
- avocado or grapeseed oil or spray, for greasing the pan
Ingredients for the raita:
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 Persian cucumber, coarsely grated
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- kosher salt, to taste
- To make the naan: In a large bowl stir together all of the ingredients until a shaggy dough forms. Turn the dough out onto the countertop and knead for about 7 minutes or until a smooth ball has formed and it bounces back when you gently press your finger into it.
- Lightly oil a bowl and place the dough in it; cover with a clean kitchen towel or cling film and place in a warm, draft-free spot until it has doubled in size, 30 to 60 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces and stretch or roll them into large ovals that are 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thick. Allow them to rest while you preheat a grill pan or griddle on high heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed if the pan is too hot- until there are brown spots and it begins to puff. Flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and brush with ghee or unsalted butter, if desired. Cover with a clean towel until ready to serve.
- To make the kebabs: In a large bowl stir together the garlic, yogurt, lemon zest and juice, spices and the salt until combined. Put the chicken in the bowl and stir until all the cubes are evenly coated in the marinade. Cover and allow to marinate for 20 minutes (or place in the fridge for up to 24 hours).
- Discard the marinade and thread the chicken onto the skewers, alternating with the bell pepper and onion.
- Lightly grease the grill, grill pan or griddle and place on high heat. Once hot place the skewers on and grill, rotating to ensure even cooking, for 12 to 15 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken. Alternatively, you can bake these at 400°F for 20 minutes, rotating halfway through and finishing in the broiler on high to achieve that delicious caramelization.
- Allow the kebabs to rest, covered, for 5 minutes before serving.
- To make the raita: Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl, starting with the smaller amount of lemon juice. Stir until well mixed, taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and more lemon juice until it’s tangy, herbaceous and bright.
- Serve the naan alongside the skewers and the raita.