Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (double concentrate if you have it)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 – 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Olive oil, as needed
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Chicken:
- 2 large chicken breasts, butterflied (or 4 chicken cutlets)
- 3 large eggs, beaten well
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 12 ounces fontina cheese, grated
- 8 ounces parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- Olive oil, for frying
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley leaves, roughly chopped, for garnish
- To make the Marinara Sauce: Heat approximately 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saucepot or Dutch oven on medium heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the onion is translucent and the garlic is aromatic. Stir in the tomato paste and crushed red pepper flakes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the tomato paste is a deeper, darker red color. Carefully pour in the crushed tomatoes and lower the heat. Let the sauce simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Taste and season with salt and pepper before using.
- To make the Chicken: If you butterflied the chicken, place between two pieces of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Use a mallet or rolling pin to pound the chicken into an even ⅓ inch thickness (skip this step if you’re using cutlets).
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and let it sit at room temperature while you set up the breading station.
- Place the beaten eggs in a shallow dish.
- In a separate shallow dish or plate pour the flour along with a few generous pinches of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
- In a new shallow dish or plate stir together the garlic powder, onion powder and Panko breadcrumbs. Add 3 tablespoons of grated parmesan along with a generous pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour 1 inch of olive oil into a large, deep sided skillet and place over medium high heat.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Coat both sides of the chicken breast with flour, dip in the egg then coat in the Panko breadcrumbs. Carefully lay into the hot oil and cook (2 pieces at a time unless your pan can comfortably fit all four pieces) for 10 to 12 minutes, flipping halfway through when it is a dark golden brown. Transfer to an oven safe baking dish or skillet. Cook the remaining chicken.
- Spoon the marinara sauce over the chicken and top with the fontina and parmesan cheeses. Place in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browned.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with pasta, crusty bread and/or a salad.