Chicken & Dumplings
Servings: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 3 cups shredded chicken breast (from about 3 chicken breasts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups (64 ounces) chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Fresh tarragon leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced into rondels
- Pour the chicken stock into a large stock pot set on medium heat and bring up to a simmer.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add cubed, cold butter and, using your fingers, fork or pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles sand. Gradually pour in the milk and mix together until the dough just comes together.
- Dust the working area with flour and place the dumpling dough on top. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to about ¼ inch thick. Using a knife, cut dumplings into squares, making sure to slightly coat the dumplings with flour to prohibit sticking.
- To the stock pot add the shredded chicken to warm. Begin adding dumplings one at a time, stirring to ensure nothing is sticking. Allow dumplings to cook for approximately 20 minutes. In the last 5 minutes of the cooking time, add peas and continue cooking.
- To serve, ladle a portion of chicken and dumplings in a bowl and garnish with fresh parsley, tarragon and carrots.