Chicken and Spanish Chorizo Paella
Serves: 4 - 6
- 1/2 teaspoon or a small pinch of saffron threads
- 1/4 cup chicken or veggie broth + 3 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces of dry cured Spanish chorizo, small dice (be sure not to get the Mexican variety – albeit very tasty, it is more of a ground meat vs. a sausage which is what we need)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- freshly ground pepper & kosher salt
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion (from 1 small onion)
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 small garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 (14½-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1½ cups uncooked short-grain white rice (such as Spanish bomba or Italian arborio)
- 1 cup thawed frozen sweet or petit peas
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Stir together saffron and 1/4 cup of the broth in a small bowl. Let stand at room temperature while we start everything else – at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add chorizo; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to a plate lined with paper towels; reserve drippings in skillet.
- Add chicken, pepper, and season with about 3 pinches of salt to skillet; cook over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned but not fully cooked, about 7 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken to plate with chorizo. DO NOT wipe skillet clean. Add onion and bell pepper to skillet; cook over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and smoked paprika; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and rice; cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is almost fully absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully stir in saffron mixture and remaining 3 cups broth and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a simmer over medium-high.
- Return chorizo and chicken to skillet, stirring lightly to partially cover with rice; sprinkle mixture with peas (do not stir peas in). Cook, uncovered and undisturbed, over medium-low, rotating skillet occasionally to evenly distribute heat, until chicken and rice are tender and liquid is almost fully absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand at room temperature until liquid is fully absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.