5 x 5 Challenge: Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
Join us for our newest installment in the Military Spouse Connections Series: In the Kitchen with Chef Joel Gamoran! This 30-minute, interactive session includes a live cooking demonstration from celebrity chef, Joel Gamoran! Requiring only five ingredients and five kitchen tools, Joel will lead us through making this dish using a simple and healthy recipe that’s sure to please your family. All participants are invited to join Chef Joel on camera, and children are welcome to join in the cooking fun! Prior to the event, all registrants will receive an email with the recipe, ingredients, and instructions.
We’ll spend 30 minutes cooking, and we’ll reserve the remaining 30 minutes for Q&A with Joel. Got kitchen questions? Bring them and get answers live!
Holy Enchiladas! These bad boys are spicy, cheesy, and super duper easy. You can make them, bake them, then immediately eat them. Or you can make ahead and bake off later. Either way these awesome enchiladas will not disappoint!
- Salsa (3 cups, red or green)
- Chicken cutlets (1/2 pound)
- Corn tortillas (8)
- Monterey jack cheese (8 ounces)
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt (1/3 cup)
Pantry Ingredients: Vegetable oil, salt, and water
- Large skillet with lid
- Frying pan and tongs
- 9x13 Baking dish or oval baking dish
- Paper towel-lined plate
- Bowl and forks
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bring the salsa to a simmer in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Nestle the chicken cutlets into the salsa and cover with a lid for 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place a frying pan over medium heat and add enough oil to just cover the bottom of the pan. Line a plate with a paper towel and set aside.
- When the oil is hot, gently place a corn tortilla into the pan and cook for 10 seconds per side. Remove to the paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- When the chicken has cooked though, remove to a bowl, leaving the sauce on low heat to simmer until ready to use.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken. Add about 1/4 cup of the salsa to the shredded chicken, season with salt and stir together.
- To build the enchiladas, add enough salsa to the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish and evenly distribute.
- Lay one of the tortillas on a cutting board, add some of the shredded chicken and top with about 2 tablespoons of the cheese. Roll the tortilla and place, seam side down, into the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Top the enchiladas with the remaining salsa, sprinkle with shredded cheese and place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly
- To a small bowl, add the sour cream and whisk in 1 - 2 tablespoons of water, until sour cream thins out.
- Remove the enchiladas from the oven and rest for 10 minutes. Serve drizzled with sour cream.