Cheese Soufflé & Spring Salad with Goddess Dressing
Ingredients for Cheese Soufflé:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the dish
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 extra-large egg yolks, at room-temperature
- 1/2 cup grated aged Cabot Cheddar cheese, lightly packed
- 5 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
Procedure for Cheese Soufflé:
- Preheat the oven to 375⁰F. Butter the inside of a 6 ounce or 8 ounce ramekin sprinkle evenly with parmesan.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. With a small whisk, whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Off the heat, whisk in the hot milk, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, until smooth and thick.
- Off the heat, while still hot, whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time. Stir in the Cheddar, 1/4 cup of parmesan and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Put the egg whites, cream of tartar, and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, on medium speed for 1 minute, then finally on high speed until they form firm, glossy peaks.
- Whisk one quarter of the egg whites into the cheese sauce to lighten and then fold in the rest. Pour into the soufflé dish, then smooth the top. Draw a large circle on top with the spatula to help the soufflé rise evenly, and place in the middle of the oven. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until puffed and brown. Serve immediately.
Ingredients for Spring Chopped Salad and Green Goddess Dressing:
- 1 cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup dill
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1/4 cup chives, sliced 1/2″ segments
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 English hothouse cucumber, chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 3 radishes, trimmed, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced sugar snap peas
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Combine yogurt, cilantro, parsley, dill mint, chives, tarragon, lemon juice olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth and green, with tiny flecks of herbs. Cover and refrigerate for later.
- Toss cucumber, avocado, scallions, radishes, peas, and tomatoes in a large bowl to combine, season with salt and pepper. Divide evenly among plates and drizzle with dressing. Top with extra chives and mint.