Charred Cauliflower Panang Curry with Lemongrass Rice
Ingredients for Rice:
2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 stalk lemongrass, split in strips or 2 teaspoons lemongrass, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Curry:
- 1 head cauliflower, broken down into florets (about 12 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots (about 2 large)
- 1¾ teaspoons Panang curry paste
- 1 - 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice plus wedges for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375⁰ F. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper or aluminum foil
- Toss cauliflower florets with 1½ tablespoons of vegetable oil. Season with turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Roast the cauliflower for 15 - 20 minutes, tossing halfway through to ensure an even char.
- Place rice in a medium pot with 2½ cups of water, lemongrass stalk or minced lemongrass, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Cover the pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 12 - 15 minutes. Fluff before serving.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add shallots and curry paste; stir until shallots soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and fish sauce, bring to boil.
- Add bell pepper and green beans and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, until just tender.
- Stir in charred cauliflower, chopped basil and lime juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide curry among bowls.
- Garnish with basil sprigs and lime wedges.