Cauliflower & Chickpea Tikka Masala with Garlic Naan
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for the Garlic Naan:
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee or unsalted butter, melted, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk, warmed (between 95°F - 110°F)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 4 tablespoons 0% Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg, beaten well
Ingredients for the Tikka Masala:
- 1 tablespoon avocado or canola oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 1 – 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 – 15 ounce can no salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 10.75 ounce can low sodium tomato puree
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk, shaken
- 2 – 9 ounce bags Earthbound Farm Organic Cauliflower florets
- 6 ounces Earthbound Farm Organic Green Beans, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup 0% Greek yogurt, plus more for toppping
- 1 medium lemon, zest and juice
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- To make the naan: In a large bowl stir together all of the ingredients until a shaggy dough forms. Turn the dough out onto the countertop and knead for about 7 minutes or until a smooth ball has formed and it bounces back when you gently press your finger into it.
- Lightly oil a bowl and place the dough in it; cover with a clean kitchen towel or cling film and place in a warm, draft free spot until it has doubled in size, 30 to 60 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces and stretch or roll them into large ovals that are 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thick. Allow them to rest while you preheat a cast iron pan or griddle on high heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed if the pan is too hot, until there are brown spots and it begins to puff. Flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and brush with ghee or unsalted butter, if desired.
- To make the tikka masala: Heat a deep sided skillet with a lid or Dutch oven on medium heat with the avocado oil. Once the oil is hot add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes or until they are translucent and beginning to brown around the edges. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Sprinkle in the spices and toast for about 2 minutes until the spices have darkened and are aromatic. Pour in the chickpeas and allow them to cook until they begin to brown, approximately 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and pour in the tomato puree and coconut milk. Stir to combine then allow the mixture to come up to a simmer before stirring in the cauliflower florets. Cover the pan for 4 minutes before adding the green beans; cover again and cook for 3 minutes or until the cauliflower florets are fork tender and the green beans are bright green and still a little crunchy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Greek yogurt along with half of the lemon zest and juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper, adding more lemon zest or juice as needed.
- Divide amongst 4 bowls and garnish with cilantro, a scoop of yogurt and one piece of naan per person.