Caramelized Turkey Meatloaf & Cheddar Polenta
Serves: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Meatloaf:
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium stalk celery, minced
- 1 medium carrot, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey (or chicken or beef)
Ingredients for Glaze:
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons smooth dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pinch of kosher salt
Ingredients for Polenta:
- 2 ½ cups no-salt added chicken stock
- ½ cup polenta (coarsely ground cornmeal)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, as needed
- To make the glaze: In a small sauce pot combine all the ingredients for the glaze. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat, stirring constantly, until just slightly reduced. It should still be loose enough to drizzle. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350⁰F. Lightly grease an 8- or 9- inch loaf pan (or line a sheet tray with parchment paper).
- In a large mixing bowl combine the breadcrumbs and the milk.
- Heat a medium saute pan on medium high heat. Pour in enough olive oil to barely cover the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is shimmering add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes until onions turn translucent. Add the garlic, celery and carrot and cook until just softened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to the bowl with the breadcrumbs and milk; stir to combine. Add the egg, tomato paste, Dijon, smoked paprika, Worcestershire and parsley; mix. Add the ground turkey to the bowl, season generously with salt and pepper and mix until all the ingredients are just combined.
- Transfer the turkey mixture to the loaf pan and press down firmly, all the way to the edges, making sure it’s evenly spread out all the way through. Pour half of the glaze on top and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until an instant read thermometer inserted in the center reads 160⁰F. (If the top begins to caramelize too much before the meat is cooked then cover it with aluminum foil.) Let rest for at least 5 minutes before removing from the pan and slicing.
- To make the polenta: While the meatloaf is baking, cook the polenta. Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- While whisking, add the polenta along with about 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered, for 25-30 minutes, until the polenta is cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter and Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar.
- Stir in the chives and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To finish: Ladle some polenta onto the plate. Top with a few slices of meatloaf and more of the glaze.