Caramel Apple or Mixed Berry Galette
*PLEASE THAW YOUR PUFF PASTRY BEFORE YOUR EVENT*
Serves: 4 - 6
3 apples, cored, 2 sliced 1/2 inch thick and 1 diced 1/2 inch cubes OR3 cups mixed berries
- 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon for décor
- 1/2 lemon, zested, juiced or 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed by box instructions (found in the freezer dessert section of grocery store)
- 1 tablespoon of a beaten egg
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 tablespoons liquor, optional (bourbon, whiskey or cognac)
- 1 teaspoon large-flake salt
- powdered sugar to serve, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- If using apples, add the sliced apples to a medium bowl and the diced apples into a separate medium bowl. Divide the sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, and vanilla between the two bowls. Toss the fruit in the sugar and juice. Drain the juice off the fruit. Set aside.
- If using berries, add them to a medium bowl and combine with sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon, vanilla, and lemon juice. Drain the juice off the fruit. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set the refrigerated puff pastry on the paper. This recipe was written for refrigerated puff pastry. If using frozen puff pastry, thaw before using, rolled out to 1/4 inch thickness, and work on a floured surface instead of parchment paper.
- Add the fruit to the center of the puff pastry.
- Begin wrapping the puff around the fruit, folding the pastry over itself until the fruit is enclosed. Use your fingers to seal up any creases along the edges of the galette.
- Brush the puff pastry with the beaten egg and bake 8 - 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine butter, brown sugar, cream, vanilla, liquor (if using) and melt in a small saucepan to make caramel. Remove from heat once just bubbling.
- Serve galette topped with sea salt, powdered sugar (optional), and a drizzle of caramel.