“Can you see my screen?” Sliders
Have you ever needed to make a quick dinner and all you have in the pantry are canned beans? Well I have the perfect solution for you, black bean sliders! We combine black beans, aromatics, spices and season with Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt, then form them into little patties that even the pickiest of eaters will love. The sliders get finished with a little special sauce that combines the perfect blend of fat, salt, acid and sweet!
Ingredients for Sliders:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons of Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt, divided
- 1/2 cup leftover vegetable scraps (carrots, celery, bell peppers)
- 2 cans “no salt added” black beans, drained and rinsed, reserving the aquafaba
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup aquafaba
- 8 slider rolls, split in half lengthwise
- avocado, sliced (optional topping)
- thinly sliced red cabbage (optional topping)
- 1/2 cup vegan aioli, recipe below
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pickle juice
Ingredients for Vegan Aioli:
- 1/4 cup aquafaba
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Morton® Fine Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 cup vegetable or other flavorless oil
Procedure for Sliders:
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, season with 1 teaspoon of Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt.
- While cooking, stir the garlic occasionally to prevent burning, for 5 minutes or until onions are soft and translucent. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- To the base of a food processor, add in the cooled onion mixture, black beans, 1 teaspoon of Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, breadcrumbs, and the reserved aquafaba. Pulse on high 10 times, or until the mixture begins to become smooth, while still allowing for some full pieces of black beans.
- Carefully remove the mixture to a bowl and begin to form 8 slider sized patties.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Add the black bean patties to the pan, being sure not to overcrowd them.
- Cook for 4 minutes per side, or until the patties have caramelized and are warmed through. This can be done in batches as well if your pan isn’t large enough.
- While the black bean sliders are cooking, toast the slider buns.
- Make the special sauce by stirring together vegan aioli with ketchup, mustard and pickle juice in a bowl until combined and consistent.
- To assemble, add some of the special sauce to the tops and bottom halves of each slider bun. Place a black bean patty on each of the bottom buns. Finish with the top buns and serve.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- To a blender, add the aquafaba, pickle juice, dijon mustard, salt and garlic. Blend until a smooth mixture forms.
- With the blender running on high, very slowly stream in 1 cup of vegetable oil until the mixture emulsifies and aioli forms.
- Remove the aioli from the blender and store in an airtight container for up to one week.