Black Pepper Pork Chop with Grits and Bourbon Thyme Sautéed Peaches
Ingredients for Pork Chops:
- 4 (1-inch-thick) loin pork chops
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 3 - 4 sprigs fresh thyme, destemmed
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 fresh peaches, cut into 8 - 10 wedges
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
Procedure for Pork Chops:
- Pat pork chops dry, then sprinkle on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then cook pork chops, turning once, until browned and just cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes total. Transfer to a platter and keep warm, loosely covered with foil. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium heat until foam subsides, then cook shallots with thyme, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden-brown, about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add peaches to the skillet.
- Add 1/4 cup bourbon to skillet and carefully ignite with a kitchen match (use caution; flames will shoot up). When flames subside, add stock, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium heat, scraping bottom of skillet to loosen brown bits.
- Cook until peaches are tender and juicy, about 3 minutes. Stir in any meat juices from platter, season with salt and pepper, and swirl in remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Serve chops over grits (recipe follows) and top with peaches and sauce.
Ingredients for Grits:
- 4 cups chicken or pork stock
- 2 cups stone-ground grits
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
Procedure for Grits:
- Heat stock in saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in grits, beating out lumps.
- Add soy sauce and salt and pepper and simmer, whisking frequently, until grits lose their raw taste, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the buter.