5 x 5 Challenge: Best Breakfast Sandwich on Earth
Join us for this 30-minute, interactive session which includes a live cooking demonstration from celebrity chef, Joel Gamoran! Requiring only five ingredients and five kitchen tools, Joel will lead us through making this dish, using a simple and healthy recipe that’s sure to please your family. All participants are invited to join Chef Joel on camera, and children are welcome to join in the cooking fun! Prior to the event, all registrants will receive an email with the recipe, ingredients, and instructions.
We’ll spend 30 minutes cooking, and we’ll reserve the remaining 30 minutes for Q&A with Joel. Got kitchen questions? Bring them and get answers live!
A breakfast sandwich may seem like a simple thing to most people, but with a few elevated techniques, this one goes from ordinary to extraordinary! Any bread can be made in a toaster but the caramelization that occurs from drizzling with oil and then pan frying crusty sourdough adds an extra dimension of flavor. Incorporating an acid such as lemon juice to the avocado brightens the dish and compliments the smoky flavor of the protein. Finishing the sandwich with the “perfect every time” technique of cooking the egg will make anyone feel like a professional chef! By utilizing the big 4 - Salt, Fat, Acid and Heat, this will be the breakfast sandwich that brightens your day!
- Thick sourdough or crusty white bread (2 slices)
- Avocado (1)
- Lemon (1)
- Cold-smoked salmon (4 ounces) (sub smoked turkey or smoked ham)
- Eggs (2)
- Non-stick frying pan with lid
- Cutting board
- Chef knife
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium high heat. Drizzle the slices of bread with some olive oil and place in the pan.
- Cook the bread for a minute, or until golden brown, the flip. Place a cast iron or heavy pan on top of the bread slices and cook for an additional minute. Turn off the heat and remove the slices from the pan, then sprinkle with salt.
- Carefully cut open the avocado and remove the pit. Scoop each avocado half out of the skin and place on a cutting board. Zest half the lemon and squeeze the juice over the tops. Using a fork, lightly smash the avocado halves.
- Divide the smashed avocado between the two pieces of toasted bread and evenly top with the slices of smoked salmon.
- Turn the heat on the non-stick frying pan back to a medium high and add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Crack 1 egg into a small bowl and gently pour it into the heated pan, being sure not to break the yolk. Repeat the process with the second egg and season both with salt and pepper.
- Cook the eggs for one minute and then turn off the heat. Cover the pan with a lid and let the egg cook for 1-2 more minutes, depending on desired doneness.
- Carefully lift the eggs out of the pan and place each one on top of the smoked salmon.
- Squeeze juice from the remaining lemon halves over the tops of the sandwiches and drizzle with olive oil.