BALP (Bacon, Avocado, Lettuce, and Pickled Red Onion) Sandwich
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for the BALT:
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 small red onion, thin half moon slices
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise or Veganaise
- 4 thin slices rustic bread, lightly toasted
- 6 slices of avocado
- 4 red leaf lettuce leaves
- Hot pepper sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Lay the bacon in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until desired doneness.
- To make the pickled red onions: put the sliced onions in a bowl. Combine the water, vinegar, agave and black peppercorns in a pot and bring to a boil. Once it has boiled, pour it over the onions and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit on the countertop while you’re assembling your sandwich. Pickled onions can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- When the bacon is browned and crispy, remove from the oven. Let the bacon cool, about 2 minutes, before you assemble the sandwich.
- Spread the mayonnaise on the slices of bread.
- Top one slice with the bacon (fold the bacon if needed to make it fit on the bread), the tomato slices, avocado slices, the lettuce leaves, a squirt of the hot pepper sauce and pickled red onions.
- Top with the remaining slice of bread, mayo-spread side down.
- Cut in half and chomp right away.