Autumn Minestrone & Cheesy Toasts
Servings: 6 - 8
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Minestrone:
- 3 tablespoons Cabot butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium ribs celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon Frontier Coop Herb Fest Seasoning (or Frontier Coop Italian Seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Coop Rosemary Leaf
- 1 - 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 - 15 ounces Great Northern beans or Cannellini beans, drained
- 4 ounces (½ cup) dried whole grain elbow or small shell pasta
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
*Feel free to substitute any vegetables you have on hand and are seasonal.
Ingredients for Cheesy Toasts:
- 6 – 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 tablespoons Cabot unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar, shredded
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- fresh chives, chopped
- In a 5 quart Dutch oven or large saucepot on medium high heat melt the butter. Once the butter is melted add the onion and sauté for 4 minutes or until they begin to get translucent. Add the carrots, celery and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes, until it is aromatic. Stir in the bell pepper, butternut squash and dried herbs and cook for 4 minutes or until all of the vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, water and beans. Bring to a simmer then lower the heat to medium, cover the pot and allow to cook for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the cheesy toasts: Preheat the broiler. Heat a skillet over medium heat while you butter both sides of the sourdough bread. Place the bread slices in the skillet and toast until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a sheet tray.
- Remove the lid from the soup and stir in the dried pasta and kale. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until the pasta is al dente. Stir in the lemon juice, a couple generous pinches of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Turn the heat off.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the toasts and put under the broiler for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until the cheese is melted and just browning. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with smoked salt and fresh chives. Serve alongside the minestrone.