Apple & Pear Galette
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Pastry:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ¼ inch cubes, cold
- ⅓ cup ice water (more or less as needed)
Ingredients for the filling:
- 2 Honeycrisp (or your favorite) apples, peeled, cored and sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 2 Bartlett or D’Anjou pears, peeled, cored and sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- Demerara sugar (sugar in the raw), as needed
- To make Pastry: In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar and salt. Toss the cold butter pieces in the flour mix until completely coated. Use your fingers to smush the butter pieces or, alternatively, use a fork to cut the butter into the flour. Drizzle half of the ice water into the mixture and carefully combine. Add more water as needed just until there is no more flour visible. The dough should be hydrated but not sticky. Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate while making the filling.
- To make Filling: In a large bowl combine the apples, pears, sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and lemon zest.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Lightly flour the countertop. Place the chilled dough in the center and roll out, rotating it 90° every couple of turns to ensure a circle, until it is ¼ inch thick. Transfer the dough to the parchment lined sheet tray.
- Arrange the apples and pears in the center of the dough, leaving a rim of at least 1 ½ inches all the way around. Drizzle the honey over the fruit, then dot the butter over the fruit. Make pleats with the crust by folding up 1 inch sections over the fruit. Brush the crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle on the demerara sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the crust is a deep golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream or powdered sugar.