Andouille Sausage Gumbo
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium yellow onion (small diced)
- 2 celery stalks (small diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (cored, seeded and small diced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning (or chicken Bouillon)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes - 15 ounces
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 8 ounces Andouille smoked sausage (cut into small dices)
- 1 package frozen okra - 10 ounces (thawed and drained)
- salt (to taste)
- freshly fround black pepper (to taste)
- For Serving: steamed white rice
- In a dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat pour in the oil. Once the oil is hot and shimmery, whisk in the flour. Be sure to mix well - no lumpy-glumpies. Allow this roux to cook until it is milk chocolate in color, stirring continuously, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the holy trinity of onion, celery and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes, until translucent and tender. Add the bay leaf, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper and creole seasoning followed by the tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken stock/broth and sausage to the pot and increase the heat to medium high to bring the gumbo to a simmer. Add the okra and simmer for approximately 10 minutes (or longer, if desired). Remove the bay leaf and taste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a bowl of steamed white rice.