2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 large green or red bell pepper, diced
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, more or less to taste)
1 - 28 ounce can no-salt added crushed tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes crushed in a food processor)
8 large eggs
1/3 cup (6 tablespoons) crumbled feta
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, leaves and stems roughly chopped, for garnish
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 slices crusty multigrain bread, for serving (omit if low-calorie, low-carb or Diabetes friendly)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Warm the oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Once shimmering, add the onion, bell pepper and salt. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are tender and turning translucent, about 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, cumin, paprika and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes until nicely fragrant.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes with their juices. Stir and let the mixture come to a simmer. Reduce the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer and cook for 5 minutes to give the flavors time to meld.
- Turn off the heat. Season with pepper. Use the back of a spoon to make a well near the perimeter and crack the egg directly into it. Gently spoon a bit of the tomato mixture over the whites to help contain the egg. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Carefully transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 8 to 12 minutes, checking often once you reach 8 minutes. They’re done when the egg whites are opaque and the yolks have risen a bit but are still soft. They should still jiggle in the centers when you shimmy the pan.
- Carefully transfer the hot skillet to a heat-safe surface. Top with the crumbled feta, fresh cilantro leaves, and more red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Serve in bowls with the bread on the side.
Calories 710, Carbs 95 grams, Fat 22 grams, Protein 33 grams